♪chance of rain – 降水確率




Hi everyone! Thank you for tuning in to Time for English.

When you’re watching weather news on TV from the US, especially around this time of year, you’re likely to see weather people using the phrase “a chance of rain“. Are you familiar with the expression?

Chance of rain is about how likely it is to rain, for example, today in your location.

The word “chance” is sometimes about opportunity, as in not having a chance to say goodbye. But in this case, a chance is a possibility.

Chance of rain is expressed in percentage. For example, when a meteorologist calls for a 60% chance of rain, I’ll probably take an umbrella. When there’s a 20% chance of rain, I think I won’t. When it comes to a 40% chance of rain, it’s kind of hard to decide.

Anyhow. Would you like to try a quiz? I’ll give you three options. Please listen carefully and choose the one that is TRUE. Ready?

The word “chance”, when used to say a chance of rain, means:
1. Weather
2. Opportunity
3. Possibility



米国のお天気ニュースを見ていると、特に1年のこの時期、chance of rainというフレーズが非常によく使われることに気づくでしょう。この表現、ご存知ですか?

chance of rainは雨が降る確率のことです。「今日の、どこどこの降水確率」というやつですね。

chanceには「機会」という意味があります。たとえば、「お別れを言う機会がなかった」などと言いたいときは、chanceを用いて表現します。でもchance of rainのchanceは、「可能性」のことです。

chance of rainはパーセンテージ(%)で表します。たとえば、気象予報士が「降水確率60%」(英語では、60% chance of rain)と予測したら、私は多分、傘を持って外出します。降水確率20%(20% chance of rain)なら、持って行かないかも。降水確率40%(40% chance of rain)だと、ちょっと迷ってしまいますね。



メールアドレスが公開されることはありません。 * が付いている欄は必須項目です